Thursday, June 18, 2009

1...2...3...4...oh...that's it...


Recently, the President of the company I intern with graced us with his presence to speak to the interns. He was very cool and didn't seem like he made loads of money, which he does. After his speech, he opened the floor to questioning, and while an intern was in the middle of his sentence, the President randomly interrupted to commend how diverse the group of about over 200 interns were. I took a quick glance around the room and then smiled. I counted the "tanned" faces around the room quite easily. Every company likes to pride itself on its diversity and equal opportunity but, how does it end up like that? Out of over 200 interns, about 15 were black, and a few others were of an ethnicity other than white (I'm not positive what, so I don't want to offend), and less than half were female. For the workplace and schools alike, it got me thinking who's fault is it that? Are non white students not going after these positions? Did the decrease of hires because of the economy just so happen to filter out this way? Or do company's really take the best, and this was it? The figure of 20,000 applicants was thrown out there which made it even harder to believe who was sitting in the room. I'm personally not placing blame because I enjoy working for this company and really have no complaints. Just got me thinking on a larger scale. Why are there only certain students who take business classes, or art classes? Why do you see a certain group of people work here rather than there? Just something to think about...

1 comment:

  1. So I am loving your blog right about now :)...You should have started earlier!! :)

    ReplyDelete